Monday, September 15, 2008

Ooo La La...Paris



So onto phase 2 of the adventure.

Prior to leaving London, we stocked up on the train essentials, wine, cheese, olives and nuts for journey. I think we amazed the two girls sitting across from us with the quantity of wine and food we consumed during the not-so-long ride.

We arrived in Paris late Monday afternoon and I was excited to get my French experience on. As we got into the cab at the station, I was about to be surprised by my traveling companion..turns out I was traveling with Philippe (Phil’s French alter ego) as he launched into full French speak. It was like that coffee commercial from the 80’s “hummm Phil never speaks French at home”. I will say it was a very pleasant surprise as all I had to do was nod, smile and say “Bonjour. Vin s'il vous plait.”

I was a bit nervous about the hotel as I was in charge of the Paris selection. Boy did I do a good job (if I do say so myself). The hotel was a small boutique in the St. Germaine district which is so cool. The staff and the rooms were fab. AND get this, free mini bar and open bar all day in the lobby. I could not believe it. Honestly, this was something I did not know when booking. It was great.

After having a glass of champagne to celebrate our arrival, we headed to the Eiffel Tower. I had been to see the tower last time I was in Paris but never got to go to the top. Anyone traveling to Paris, highly recommend Monday afternoon around 4pm for the visit as the lines were really short.



It was lovely and I am happy that we did it but I will have to disagree with those who claim the top is romantic. There was just was too many people for romance.

That evening we had a very late dinner at this bistro around the corner from the hotel. We…wait I (remember I am with Philippe) was the only English speaker in the place. It was very local which is what you want from vacation right?? Everyone was eating, drinking and smoking around us. Speaking of smoking..I have officially quit!! As you know I was always the social smoker. You would think this atmosphere would be the perfect setting for my habit but nope I was not even tempted so I think I have finally kicked-it!

The following day was some Musee D’orsey action (my fav museum), site seeing and our first failed attempt to visit a Picasso Museum (it was closed).



Notre Dame makes my legs look thin.


Walking back to the hotel we stumbled upon a restaurant that looked amazing so we made some reservations for that evening. Here is Phil and what appears to be a prostitute in the hotel lobby (enjoying some free pre-dinner drinks). Seriously, looks like I should be heading to the Moulin Rouge…



Dessert...this was supposed to be the healthy dessert (cottage cheese).


Finally we ended the night with some more champagne at a posh hotel with Phil’s friend Beth. We were heading to her apartment in Chamonix the next day before the climb!


So there you have it our Tango in Paris.


Tomorrow..uncomfortable train ride and Chamonix.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the notre dame photo caption is brilliant!

Kitty said...

I am loving this trip. Keep it coming!

rd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rd said...

that dessert looks so goooooood