Monday, May 12, 2008

Resolutions



For once in my life I am actually accomplishing a new years resolution…I am climbing a mountain.

When I returned to Singapore after the holidays, many conversations revolved around setting those pesky resolutions. Many years ago I just gave up on setting them as I never really followed through leaving me feeling like a loser. So my M.O. became “how can you fail when you don’t set out to do it in the first place???” I know, not much of a “winners attitude” but hey it made me feel better about myself.

Ok I am babbling…so on to this year. I kind of felt like a loser not setting some and after reaching the goal of scuba certification I thought what the hell I have always wanted to climb something so that will be my resolution and as of this Saturday I will be able to put a big TICK in that box!

Phil and I are climbing Mount Kinabalu on the island of Borneo. The total climb is 4,095 meters (13,435 ft) above sea level and its one of the 4 tallest peaks in S.E. Asia. You really don’t need fancy climbing equipment just some trekking boots (which I am not a proud owner of and which make my legs look like a professional football players) a backpack and some warm clothes. The hike itinerary goes like this:

Friday: 6:30am pick-up at the hotel
7:30am Hike begins
8:30am I start to get cranky (just kidding)
2:30pm Check in to the hotel mid-climb for the night.

Saturday: 2:30AM (yes you read that correctly AM) get ready to head for the summit.
2:31AM Me: F*ck resolutions
5:30AM (I think) arrive at summit and watch the sunrise
6:00AM me: God I hope I look good in these sunrise pictures. Note to self, must come up with “first mountain climbed pose” for pictures!
7:00 – 1:00pm descent
1:30pm Transfer to the Shangri-La Rasa Ria hotel to meet our friends Val & Alex.
1:45pm Wine in hand
2:00pm Sleep or spa. Not sure if my leg will want to be touched at that point.

Monday: Fly back to Singapore.

So there you have it. Keep your fingers crossed that I avoid killing myself!

Jeff I will make sure to take many photos of the indigenous plant life.

Yodel lay he hoo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

damn... I am so proud of you. you have become quiet the adventurous chick and I am oh so jealous of these adventures you are having! I love it!

JenniB said...

Can you believe it Mish. Was actually thinking about the things I have purchased since being here, scuba gear, hiking gear, point gold bustier (now thats adventure)

Anonymous said...

there's always "the pose"...that would look hot on top of a mountain...