Monday, May 12, 2008

Tokyo Technology

I have said it once and I will say it again…technology scares me!

TOKYO - Cigarette vending machines in Japan may soon start counting wrinkles, crow's feet and skin sags to see if the customer is old enough to smoke.
The legal age for smoking in Japan is 20 and as the country's 570,000 tobacco vending machines prepare for a July regulation requiring them to ensure buyers are not underage, a company has developed a system to identify age by studying facial features.
By having the customer look into a digital camera attached to the machine, Fujitaka Co's system will compare facial characteristics, such as wrinkles surrounding the eyes, bone structure and skin sags, to the facial data of over 100,000 people, Hajime Yamamoto, a company spokesman said. With face recognition, so long as you've got some change and you are an adult, you can buy cigarettes like before.


Seriously, I would like to go, put my face in the digital camera and have them tell me how old my face is (that would be my real face not my other face).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to take care of both faces equally. Don't forget.

Anonymous said...

You have to take care of both faces equally. Don't forget.

Anonymous said...

i recently realized my shaving cream is called kiss my face.
it had me cracking up in the shower the other day.

Anonymous said...

the toilets in the tokyo airport had a control panel armrest with things like a heater and a fake repeating flushing sound so people don't hear you dropping the kids off at the pool.