Monday, February 4, 2008

Honest? Blunt? Rude? Mean? Lack of tact? You make the call!

One thing that I have yet to get used to, and not sure if I will, is the bluntness/rudeness/stupidity of some Singaporeans, especially women. Let me clarify that I am not saying all Singaporeans but there are many that just lack tact or a verbal filter when speaking to people.

Two stories come to mind as I try to illustrate my point here and they both involve my friend Rachel and they both happened to her on the same day. She was shopping and entered a local clothing store, where clothes are cheap and also made for women the size of a Barbie doll. Two steps into the store, the sales woman came up to her and immediately said, “Sorry no fat clothes here” Let me tell you that Rach is anything but fat! Not to be discouraged she ventured on to another local clothing store where, maybe having a bit more “tact” the sales woman said “Western woman are usually quite huge…but you’re not that bad”. Can you find the compliment in that statement??

As you know from previous posts, I myself have been on the receiving end of the Singaporean “honesty” but last night may have been the worst yet! This I would classify as pure meanness but you can make the call. I had an event last night and I (mistakenly) asked two assistants to help me with set-up/registration. I have met these two before and have gotten along quite well with them in the past but together they were my enemy. Not sure how I offended these two. So here’s how it went down:

Assistant 1: So Jenn are you going away for Chinese New Year?
Me: Yes, I am so excited I am going to Australia.
Ass 1: Sydney or Melbourne?
Me: I am going to Perth, Margaret River for some winery tours and beach
Ass 1: Are you bringing a bikini?
Me: Yup but if I keep eating the lo-hei I may not fit into my bathing suit (hahaha) [hands on stomach pretending my stomach is expanding]
Ass 1: Don’t worry there are tons of whales in Australia!

Ok are you kidding me right now?? This bitch did not just say that!!! This was complete meanness under the guise of trying to be funny!! Who says that???

Bitches! Ugg it gets me mad just writing it. And people call New Yorkers rude?

I am off to the gym!

4 comments:

Adam said...

Could have been worse -- like a homeless guy saying you looked fat in your brand new gym pants.

Jeff said...

Wow! What a "c" word. Can you get her fired?

Kitty said...

yeah, arent you their boss?

JDizzle said...

Well Jen, you kinda asked for it. I mean, you did set up the whole joke for her.

Next time when she asks you something about your personal life, tell her you don't talk about your personal life with assistants.