Thursday, February 14, 2008

Red, White and WHO???

I am going to be really honest here….politics has never interested me. I should be ashamed to type that but it’s the truth and this blog is all about the truth even when it does make me look like an idiot. I think my interest peaked when Madonna, wrapped in the American flag, demanded that we vote, too bad I was like 15 then.

I do classify myself as a democrat, however, if there was a really trustworthy republican candidate I could be swayed (not sure how I would figure that out though b/c remember it does not interest me). I know that I hate George Bush and Rudy Giuliani and I know that Obama and Hillary are neck/neck (with HC slipping) but that is about it. Oh and I do know that Obama fell in JB’s rating when he brought Oprah onto the scene….but seriously this time….that is about it. I wish I cared more but I don’t and my lack of interest/knowledge was never really an issue at home as I could just sip my wine while my knowledgeable friends discussed the ins and outs and who stood for what.

Different story here! Why, Why did I have to move during an election year???? Seeing that I am one of very few Americans in my group of friends, they seem to see me as some sort of American politics expert (I can hear you giggling from here) always wanting to get the American perspective. When we were in Margaret River my friend Jim felt the need to check his blackberry every morning to give me update on the primaries…”hey Jenn Obama’s really pulling ahead” me: “Wow its really close” [what I was really thinking was can you go to perezhilton.com!!] I can usually get out of a deep discussion by taking a huge sip of wine, looking perplexed and saying..”I just don’t know, I am really torn, both candidates (convo usually revolves around Hillary/Obama) have a lot to offer” that usually works and someone else will jump in with their opinions leaving this American free to think about other things. There are times when this canned reply just doesn’t cut it though and I am left blabbering on and on hoping that the confidence with which I am blabbering fools them into believing that I know my stuff…so far so good! It is this type of situation that has me intently watching Wolf Blitzer on CNN each morning like a school kid just short of taking notes. Seriously it is a lot of pressure to keep this up!

Oh the bright side, my constant fear of being found out as the political knowledge fraud that I am has actually made me learn a thing or two.

Don’t forget to vote!

Jenni “proud to be an American” B

3 comments:

Kitty said...

that's why I let Adam & Kelly do all the talking when we struck up a political conversation with some cameraman in a bar last week.

this is a good one to say: "I find Hillary so polarizing". That gets people talking.

I am seriously considering giving Kelly my voting power. Seems a waste on me. Whoever the democratic candidate is, thats who I vote for.

Jeff said...

Jen, you can always fall back on the Newsweek article you read in 1998 about Christine Whitman.

JDizzle said...

Too bad you're not here Jen, this election is the most exciting election since John F.

zzzZzzzzZzzzz