Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fall Recap



I realized that due to the crazy Fall work schedule I have missed the opportunity to fill you in on some of the things that kept me busy September –December.
First up: Kanye.

Phil bought us ticket (more for me really) to see Kanye rock Singapore. I had read so many great things (on Perez) about the “Glow in the Dark Tour” I was really excited…I imaged costume changes, special effects…the works..well not so much.

Let’s start at the beginning, seeing a concert in Singapore is a pretty cool thing in that the “arena” is pretty small so all seats are good seats..lets see a cross between Hammerstein and Continental Airlines area but closer to Hammerstein..am I succeeding here?? So we get to our “seats” which were standing floor “seats” and we were so close to the stage and about 10 years older than the fans around us. It was really cool to look around at the crowd as you had your expat group, teenagers and my favorite Indian guys with turbans and Muslim girls with headscarves all sporting the grill glasses (as pictured above). Awesome.

As soon as the lights dimmed, I got so excited then out of the smoke came Kayne at 10feet away…outfit TERRIBLE this is not what I was expecting. To make matters worse he did not change the entire concert..and special effects..strobe lights do not = high tech (all I have to say is thank god I am not epileptic).

Now to the music…I am sure for a true KW fan it was great..but for JB the fair-weather – pop music fan the first hour was a bit boring. Then with about 45 minutes left (I sound like Bob Costas don’t I??) it all changed..the music took a dancey/pop turn and it was AWESOME Phil and I got down (yeah go ‘head get down). The two of us…we can certainly cut a rug!

Finally, the title…”Glow in the Dark” whatever!!! Not one thing was glow in the dark they did give out the glow jelly necklaces/bracelets before the show but security was actually making people take them off. For the record..Phil and I were not sporting the glow jewelry…we are losers but not that bad. We discussed that maybe being such a small venue and Singapore..well being Singapore, some of the effects may have been cut. If anyone has seen it in the US…thoughts?

So in closing and staying true to my movie ratings:

Music: 4 wine glasses (the last 45 minutes def. saved this rating)
Clothes: 0 wine glasses
Stage/special effects: 0 wine glasses

Watching the posh Brit dance to rap: a million glasses

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's about what I would expect his show to be.