Thursday, January 15, 2009

LOL’s (does not stand for lots of love)

Ok first of all – TGIF!! I love Fridays – don’t you??

So I have to fill you in on a very funny story (at least I think it is) that my friend Helen told me today. Helen is the girl from the westsuits are dangerous post – the one who had my sweaty butt cheek against her face so you know she is quite funny and a very good sport. Helen and I work for the same company, she’s a brit and we arrived here about the same time. Ok enough background info.

It’s lunch time, I have my gym bag on my shoulder ready to head out the door and she sends me a same time message asking me to have lunch with her that she needs a glass of wine. About 2 seconds go by where I actually consider not answering and heading for the gym but I quickly got a hold of myself, dropped the gym bag and said I would meet her in the lobby in 2.

We get to our favorite, boozy lunch (hey its Friday) destination and the following conversation followed:

Helen: Oh god I made an ass out of myself
Me: [laughing] What happened?
Helen: Well, I was on a call with my manager’s manager in the US and about 20 other people in the US and at the end of the call she was like “so Helen this will be the last time we speak before Chinese New Year.”
[apparently the manager’s manager went into the whole background of the Chinese calendar]
[more background – Helen has not exactly embraced Singaporean/Asian culture]

Manager’s Manager: So Helen what is 2009 the year of??
Helen: [sweating] Ummm…Ummm… well…. [she had no idea – she tells me all she could think about was her vacation to Australia]
Manager’s Manager: Helen I think it’s the OX [Helen heard this as fox]
Helen: oh yeah that’s right it’s the year of the Fox…yup…
Some associate in Miami: Umm…Helen its an Ox not a fox.
Call ends
Helen: I wonder if I will get fired for not knowing???

Well let me tell you to hear her tell the story is priceless…could you imagine?? I was dying for the rest of the lunch and still laughing typing this email (maybe I’m drunk). Sad thing, I could totally imagine this happening to me!

Happy weekend!

No comments: