Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hell Yeah I'm Single!

So Chinese New Year is right around the corner (first week in February) and I have been excited to celebrate for quite sometime. Why you ask??? Well, the implementation of my new year resolutions have been postponed over a month (for those curious it is to party less and to perfect my swimming skills), I get a 4 day weekend (in Australia) and who would not be excited about the year of the rat….but my excitement has reached a whole new level after learning what I did yesterday!

I returned to my desk after lunch to find 6 packs of little red envelopes on my
desk. I knew these were part of a Chinese New Year tradition where you put money in the envelopes and distribute to friends and family to wish them a happy and prosperous new year, at least I thought that was the whole story but I was a bit off. Turns out that I, JenniB, do not have to fill these envelopes with my hard earned cash…why???…BECAUSE I AM SINGLE!! That’s right, finally I the singleton have the last laugh to all those manicurists and yoga sales people who look at me with such pity. You see, the rule is married people have to give money to the single people!!!! OH YEAH! Ok maybe this is just another form of pity but who cares…this is the kind of pity I can handle. I would like to think that it is because we, the singles, have to spend the money to dress-up, drag ourselves out night after night and drink ourselves silly all in the hopes of getting some action! Seeing that this is an age old tradition I am most likely way off but whatever! Bring on the dough!

Another interesting fact I learned, is that you never put $4 or any amount containing the number 4 in the packet as this is BAD LUCK. The word for the number 4 in Cantonese sounds very much like the word for death so you never make this mistake. Oh dear watch someone give me $4 thinking I don’t know what that means, could you imagine??

Jenni “proud to be single” B

4 comments:

JDizzle said...

Glad it's finally paying off for you Jenni.

Kitty said...

Thats the best tradition i have ever heard....but why did they leave you empty envelopes?

Jeff said...

Do you have to display these envelopes at your desk so everyone knows to give you money?

Unknown said...

how much money did you make ;)