Monday, October 8, 2007

Not Easily Identifiable

Humm..things have not really changed too much!! I am referring to my post dated July 8 titled Scenes from the Pantry (sorry don’t know how to do that fancy link to the post thing). This incident took place very early on in my Singapore adventure and I am sorry to say…I still can not tell them apart. Wait,let me clarify something…I can tell actual people apart just not whether someone is Chinese, Japanese (dirty knees…I digress), Korean etc and in addition to Asian’s being a problem I have realized that I am actually just pitiful when it comes to telling where any person originates from.

There are certain accents that are pretty easy Australian for instance…got that one down! English accent is pretty straight forward for the most part except that two of my closest friends here are English and they have both mentioned to me that a third friend SC’s accent is pretty as they say “common” I think that translates to someone from the wrong side of the tracks. I have tried to identify the difference in her accent for myself and just can’t hear it. I am sure they would adamantly argue this point if they heard me say this.

Ok moving on…so I, once again, misidentified the origins of another. This time….PADDY. I have to say that I really don’t hold my ignorance 100% responsible for this one. Note #1 I was pretty loaded when we met (readers…are you surprised??), Note #2,3,4 his name is Patrick, we met in an Irish pub and then he signed an email Paddy…I basically thought I was heading for a date with a leprechaun! What would you think????

So I arrive to dinner, sit down and start my standard first date conversation. As soon as he spoke I was like "oh no got it wrong again!!" Totally not Irish. I detected what I thought was a French accept but nope wrong again…Swiss! but to my credit..french swiss! Ugg times like these make me long for the easily identifiable Brooklyn, Staten Island and North Jersey accents!

It will take me quite a bit longer to grasp all the different cultures and accents but its going fun trying!

On other note, while I am typing this, the office cleaning lady just came to wipe down my desk. Those who have worked with me knows the “organized chaos” that is my desk so I was trying to clear away some of the mess. I went to put my holepuncher thing into my overhead cabinet which I always forget opens out instead of sliding up and nailed her in the head…really hard!!!! I cold almost see the birdies circling her head!! I honestly think she almost cried! I feel so bad!! I seriously will not be surprised if she comes in with a black eye tomorrow. This is NOT good for business!

1 comment:

JDizzle said...

I can't believe that you beat up the cleaning lady? She is never cleaning your desk again!