Monday, October 22, 2007

Run Hard...Play Hard

I am going to start this post by saying there may be more spelling/grammatical errors than usual as a result of the worst hang over I have ever experienced in my whole life….this is not exaggeration as I am pretty certain that I just stopped being drunk about an hour ago (its 4pm).
I am very happy to report that the 10K was a success. I crossed the finish line at 64 minutes but given the start delay I am guessing my official time is around 60 minutes. I keep checking the event site for my time to be posted….will let you know as soon as I do. I must say I am pretty proud of myself especially given the fact that Saturday night was the rugby world cup and everyone was going to get together for the 3am start. I managed to have dinner with the crew and take myself home at 10:30pm to get ready for the race….I know I shocked myself!

It was a really great day with a little over 8,000 participants, all women. What I loved most about it was seeing all the different types of women doing the race: old, young, big, small, Chinese, white, Muslim….and trying to figure out what their motivation was for getting up so early on a Sunday, in the heat to run 10K. I have to give the most respect to the Muslim woman who have no choice but to run in their head scarf, pants and long sleeves. I was sweating like an animal in my little tee shirt and shorts! I look forward to doing another but not for a while…it was tough!

So after a morning of doing really great things for my mind and body what do I do but flush it all down the toilet but drinking WAY TOO MUCH! It all started innocently enough with a champagne brunch at Noon. These are really popular in Singapore. It is basically any type of food you can image with free flow champagne for 3-4 hours and you stay the entire 3-4 hours!! There were about 20 of us celebrating our friend Duncan’s birthday. It was great fun but by the end I was so tired and drunk all I wanted to do was go home..no such luck! The group was heading to another bar to continue the celebration and after a little arm twisting and being reminded that it was only 3pm I agreed to go along but only for one. BIG MISTAKE!! Irish Bar + feather boas+ live band+wigs+devil horns+a totally dehydrated from the run JenniB = TROUBLE
Me & Helen:

Me and Phil

Shortly after this last one was taken, I for some reason was put in charge of cutting the birthday cake, broke the knife and some cake flipped up and landed on my face. Would not have been bad had I actually realized this happened rather than sitting there for a good few minutes with chocolate cake on my forehead…Classy!

At about oh god who am I kidding I have no idea what time it was..the crew decided to move the party to a bar right near my apartment. I was like ok I ‘ll have one drink then head home..perfect..not so perfect. Had many more drinks there and made it home at midnight (I think). So as a recap I was up at 6am, ran for an hour in the heat, and drank from 12:00pm – 12:00am!

I had posed a question to you all back in the Phuket post about me having a problem and the answer is YES…Hello my name is JenniB and I am an alcoholic!

Oh but I do have to tell you about a laugh I had on my way to work this morning. They play Chinese soap operas (in English) on the bus in the morning and I usually have my ipod on so don’t really pay attention, put this morning my head hurt too much to have music playing in my ears so I was watching. Didn’t quite get what was going on but there was a guy in a wheelchair, I think he may have been retarded and he was a painter. He said something that actually made me laugh out loud which I don’t think was a good thing considering he is in a wheelchair and possible retarded ….”Just because I am disabled doesn’t mean I am unable” say that with a Chinese accent…pure comedy.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Wow! That sounds like one hell of a marathon. And the 10K sounds impressive also.