Friday, July 27, 2007

Hong Kong Debrief

Look at that title…see how business-minded I am now…all business lingo all the time. Sorry I have been out-of-pocket that last couple days hehe (that was for you Jeff). Ok seriously Hong Kong was fab-u-lous! I remembered really liking it last time I was here but this time it seemed different. I honestly think that a lot has to do with having been away from NYC for over a month now. My first morning coming to the HK office, I felt such energy, a NYC-type buzz. I guess that was lost on me last time coming straight from NYC. Singapore, although a city, is really slow paced, relaxed, tropical…like a sky line on fantasy island.

During my first meeting on Wednesday I was asked, “how do you like Hong Kong to which I replied “I really like it there is such energy blah, blah. He was like I will tell you the difference between Singapore vs. HK, HK = NYC/Singapore = a suburb. The analogy totally made sense which made me think “oh dear I never wanted to live in the suburbs, umm so basically I am a housewife living in the suburbs (minues the house and being a wife of course). After not liking the thought of this one bit, I thought well if I am moving to the other side of the world it makes sense to change my WHOLE living situation so living on fantasy island works for me. Happy again!

So I have had a lot of small world experiences over the last couple of months so what should make this trip to Hong Kong any different. Yesterday (Thursday) I was doing a little shopping and going to get my lunch when I spotted this guy that looked familiar. I kept on looking then he started looking at me like “hey that girl is checking me out..no wait..she looks familiar” so as we are about to pass each other we both stop and basically say at the same time “do I know you” seeing that we both asked the same question..umm yeah dumb asses you know each other. So we started to think and run through instances where we may have met. Being the boozie suzie that I am, I was like oh dear I really hope I didn’t make out (or worse) with this guy while wasted (note: he isn’t my type (cute) hence the wasted part) but then we determined that we knew each other from college…ut-oh just realized that makes the wasted make out more probable. Oh well. Anyway, we started chatting, he has been living in HK for 6 years and is moving to Singapore on Monday!!! New “friend”!!! Apparently he has a lot of friends in Singapore so even more new friends…good stuff.

As for the rest of the trip, I am sorry to report that it was uneventful. I had my business face on and stayed sober the entire week. Go me! Hey, there is still the free wine on the plane ride home. Speaking of plane rides..seriously Singapore Air is the best thing to ever happen to air travel. I flew here in coach and was expecting to be very disappointed b/c the business class service was so amazing but the service was exactly the same and the food rocked. Only difference was seat size. All those visiting coach or business you are in for a treat!!

One more thing I have to mention is the gym at the Mandarin Oriental…dude…my heaven!!!

Alright, I am boarding and back to Singapore, wish I had stayed the weekend..next time!

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that the gym is your heaven! And a whole week sober?!Can't relate except for after we went out in the East Village...

Jeff said...

When you say a week, do you mean 5 or 7 days? Either way, that sounds like a record for you.

Anonymous said...

Was the cow ok while you were gone?