Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Thumper...

Nope not referring to the crowd pleasing drinking game…”what’s the name of the games…how do you play..” the temp really thinks I am crazy as I am slapping my hands on the desk….I am not kidding. I am referring to a new bar/club that opened here and that I had the pleasure of going to recently.

I didn’t have high hopes for this place as it is in the hotel portion of the corporate housing [project] that I lived in when I first arrived. I passed the flashing lights and video screens on my way home each night as they put the finishing touches on the bar but I had already moved out before the grand opening. Well I finally got to see the inside and it was cool. It was not so much the décor or music but the payment system that made it pretty cool and dangerous at the same time. No cash or credit is exchanged inside the club, rather your thumb print is taken upon your first order and given each time you need a drink. At the end of the night you are given your tab and have to pay at the cashier where two big, burly bouncers stand. I made sure my thumbs stayed very far away from that bar! I could definitely picture myself having one too many and making all sorts of thumb jokes/gestures and running up a million dollar tab in the process. I will however return for Thursday night ladies night where its free vodka all night! I am not a huge vodka fan but hey if its free its for me!

Speaking of ladies night, it’s a big thing here which is good for me…for now! The general rule here is you get free admission and then around 3 drink tickets but only if you are 35 or under!!!! Are you kidding me..since when if 35 old?? Don’t they know 35 is the new 25…have they not seen Sex in the City?? Well this 35 and under rule has caused quite a stir especially with the cougars ready for a night on the prowl (this is all said in jest as I am preparing for a life of cougarness [violins playing]). I honestly have never been proofed here so I am assuming those who really look older (one of the pictures accompanying an article in the paper was a woman of 57) have the problems with the door policy. So what do the over 35 set get…..reduced admission and 1 ticket…oh snap!

Lastly, some upsetting news to wrap up this entry….I tried to take a picture of the cows but there is a problem. You see they are encased in a protective plastic dome (picture snow globe – I think it a collectors item) and the flash creates a glare that hides their faces. I tried many different takes (at 11:00pm last night) and finally gave up. I need to see how I can turn off the flash so it may take some more time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to use your thumbs at that bar when i come to visit. Those better be some rich thumbs.

Anonymous said...

damn thumb prints! That is soooo scary. How crazy! Did it work well? shocking... love that game thumper... good memories ;) I remember the ladies nights in HK. I think you, Ri and I tried a couple out... but under 35 ... what a joke! Mich